Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Day #69, New York Strip Steak

I was very interested in trying this Supple Supper's entree. I haven't tried a real steak for awhile, and was very interested to see how I felt about it. This entree is a fourteen ounce Black Angus strip steak, topped with a medley of sauteed peppers and onions, and our house made demi-glace. It's served with a baked potato, and the vegetable du jour.

The first thing I noticed about this steak was that it is so big! A New York Strip strikes a perfect balance between a higher fat steak such as a Ribeye, and a very lean steak like a Sirloin or Filet, with an excellent amount of marbling.
With the advice of our highly knowledgeable staff, I ordered this steak to be medium rare, rather than medium well, as I normally order any kind of meat. I was surprised with how flavorful and tender this steak was. It was so much better than I had expected, and I think after eating this I will definitely try this type of thing again, without any fear!

I also believe that the demi-glace plays a huge roll in the flavor of this entree. Demi-glace is a rich brown sauce in French cuisine used by itself or as a base for other sauces. The term comes from the French word glace, which used in reference to a sauce means icing or glaze.

I really enjoyed trying this dish, much more so than others. The sides were also amazing, especially because I haven't had a baked potato in years, and was able to remember how much I really like them! The vegetables were also a very good compliment to the meal.

If you like steak, you have to try this! I know I'm glad I did, and I will definitely recommend it to others without hesitation!

No comments:

Post a Comment