Saturday, July 10, 2010

Day #61- Caprese



This is the last item to blog about off the salads menu! I feel sad about it, however it's a good feeling to have one section of the menu totally completed.

Our caprese is made with fresh Burrata mozzarella, Sliced Roma Tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, drizzled with balsamic vinegar reduction, and extra virgin olive oil. Served with a simple bruschetta.

When I read the description of burrata Mozzarella on the menu, I thought it to be odd- mozzerella filled with cream. Burrata is a fresh Italian cheese. The outer shell is solid mozzarella while the inside contains both mozzarella and cream, giving it an unusual, soft texture. It is usually served fresh, at room temperature. The name "burrata" means "buttered" in Italian.

I love most cheeses, especially fresh mozzarella cheese. I was really excited to try this different type of mozzarella cheese, and I was not disappointed. I could actually taste the cream in the mozzarella, which I did not expect. It was really very good though, especially with the basil and tomato.
The balsamic vinaigrette reduction was not my favorite, although it did add flavor to the dish.

I'm surprised that I had never ordered this dish until now. I really enjoyed it, and would recommend it to other as well...I know that I will order it again!

1 comment: