Monday, August 16, 2010

Day #76, #38 Tiffany "Fweef" Salcini

I was so nervous about trying this sandwich!

The #38, or Tiffany "Fweef" Salcini is made with warm pastrami, red onion, scallion cream cheese, jalapeno peppers, and honey mustard on grilled Zingerman's pumpernickel bread.

Jon Foley, our bar manager, shared it with me when I finally decided that I was up for the challenge. It's one of his favorite sandwiches, along with the #13, which he also split with me. Apparently he is a huge fan of pastrami.

Pastrami is a popular delicatessen meat usually made from beef, and, like corned beef, originally created as a way to preserve meat before modern refrigeration. For pastrami, the raw meat is brined, partly dried, seasoned with various herbs and spices, then smoked and steamed. I thought it was very interesting to learn the difference between corned beef and pastrami, and now I can explain that to guests! :)

The #38 is named after a past manager of the laundry named Tiffany Salcini. Her nickname was "fweef", but no one working here now really remembers why she was called that. If you know, let us know! Tiffany also has the #36, Miss Smiles' Rainy Day Tuna named after her as well.

This sandwich wasn't so bad after all, but I think the fact the I'm not a pastrami person makes my opinion very biased. It has good flavor from the pastrami, and a little kick from the jalapenos, but that of course is calmed down just enough by the scallion cream cheese. Others are huge fans of this sandwich, but it's going to take a little more time for me to be comfortable eating pastrami....but hopefully I'm getting there!

No comments:

Post a Comment