Sunday, May 23, 2010

Day #38, Chargrilled Marinated Flank Steak




Today's dinner was the Chargrilled, Marinated Flank Steak, another new entree off of our Supple Suppers menu. This steak is sliced and topped with pickled sweetcorn, red onion, bell pepper, and tomatillo relish. It's served with Lyonnaise potatoes and vegetable du jour.

Flank steak is a beef steak cut from the abdominal muscles of the cow. It's a relatively long and flat cut of meat and can be used in a variety of dishes- such as a London broil or in fajitas. It is significantly tougher than the other beef cuts; which is very noticeable in this dish. Although I don't often eat steak, I thought the flank steak to be especially chewy. It had great flavor though, and the toppings added a lot of flavor and a nice summer color to the entree.

Lyonnaise potatoes are a French dish, made of sliced pan fried potatoes and thin slices of onions. Both are sauteed in butter until golden brown. The word "Lyonnaise" means "from Lyon" or "Lyon-style" after the city of Lyon in France. I'm ashamed to say I didn't really know what Lyonnaise potatoes were before having this dish, although they are very simple and seem to be incredibly common.
Overall, I enjoyed this dish a lot more than I thought I would. The marinade and char-grilling of the flank steak gave it a lot of flavor, which really won me over. I'm always a big potato fan and the Lyonnaise potatoes were delicious...I didn't even need salt or pepper for any part of this meal. I think this is one of the most visually appealing entrees on our new menu- if you haven't at least seen it yet, you really have to! It looks like summer at the French Laundry!

2 comments:

  1. Not a huge flank steak fan, but this dish does look like summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it's a great summer dish!

    ReplyDelete