Saturday, June 12, 2010

Day #49, Roasted Rack of New Zealand Lamb




Today's dinner was the roasted rack of New Zealand Lamb. I shared this entree with one of our servers, Vicki, and she was incredibly excited because it is her favorite dish. The lamb rack is topped with a blackberry demi-glace, and served with chipotle-laced sweet potatoes and vegetable du jour.

Lamb is another meat that I can now say that I have tried. Two in one week, imagine that. It wasn't really what I expected, kind of chewy with a gamey flavor. It was too far out from the chicken breast that I normally enjoy, but I didn't think it to be terrible...I guess just really different for me. I always hear a lot of compliments about the lamb, and it really seems as though guests (and people who don't compare lamb to chicken) really like it.

My favorite part of this dish was the chipotle laced sweet potatoes. They were sweet still of course, and not overly spicy, but there was a hint of chipotle. I don't like spicy food all that much and I thought them to be very delicious. My vegetable of the day (green beans and carrots) was good, as always.

I thought the most interesting part of this entree was the blackberry demi-glace. It's definitely something you don't see everyday, unless you work here. I loved how the dish was also garnished with blackberries, it was such a nice touch.

Overall, I'm glad that I now know what a rack of lamb tastes like. I probably won't order it again anytime in the near future, but I might be open to it later in life when my taste buds are more evolved!

1 comment: