Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day #44, Sparty's Super Siesta Salad




I've been in the mood for salad lately, and this one was the next on the list. I've had it before, and I know I like it, although I usually substitute the guacamole for avocado.

Our Sparty's Salad (as we lovingly call it) is a layered salad with fresh house made guacamole, black bean tortilla chips, romaine lettuce, shredded Grafton Vermont cheddar cheese, scallions, and green peas tossed in ranch dressing. It doesn't automatically come with chicken breast, but there is an option on the menu for it, so of course I ordered it.

The black bean tortilla chips we use are from a company called Garden of Eatin', and they really add a lot of flavor to the salad. They are all natural, made with no preservatives, and made with only organic corn harvest by their sustainable partners.

We recently got a complaint on our facebook page about the salad being too bland, but I really don't think that it is bland at all. It's a huge salad, as you can see from the photo, and that is only a small! This salad is my second favorite salad on the menu (second to the Caesar salad, of course). It you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it. The romaine in this salad is chopped, which not only gives it a very interesting look, but it's also really easy to eat.

If you are having a party or small gathering, it is also a really cool salad to have made for you in a glass bowl, so all the layers to it can be easily seen. We've had customers order it like that before, and I'm always really proud of the outcome.

I really like this salad, and not just because I'm a Michigan State Alumni. My personal opinion of this salad is that it is a must-try for anyone who eats a lot of salad and wants to try something different. That's what the French Laundry is all about after all. Give it a try, and be sure to let me know if you love it as much as I do!

1 comment: