Thursday, June 10, 2010

Day #48, Veal Milanese




Ohhh how I was dreading this one. Although I have never tried veal before, I was sure that I wouldn't like it.

Our Veal Milanese is breaded veal scallopini topped with a compound butter with basil and capers. It's served with an orzo pasta tossed with roasted pistachios and kalamata olives.

Veal Milanese is named for the northern Italian city it was created in, Milan, in Italy's Lombardy province. It is known as a simple yet impressive way to prepare a veal chop.

I was surprised by the flavor of the veal. I don't really know what I was expecting it to taste like, but somehow I thought it would be absolutely horrible (Sorry Jody). However, after the first bite, I realized that veal was nothing to really be afraid of. It was tender, and didn't have an overwhelming flavor. The butter compound melted into the veal giving it more flavor as well. If you order this dish, don't expect for the there to be some kind of sauce on the veal- the butter compound melts into the breading on the veal, and you can barely tell it was there.

I didn't care for the orzo, but that's just because I don't like olives...and that flavor carried throughout all of the pasta.

Overall, not my favorite dish, but I can see why others like it. It was a great experience for me to try veal for the first time, and I'm glad that I did. I need to call my mom and tell her that I ate veal!

No comments:

Post a Comment