Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Day #25, Baked Eggs




The baked eggs doesn't have a interesting name, pretty self-explanatory I thought, but this dish really has a lot going on. Our baked eggs are made with two eggs, spinach, tomato, bacon, and Parmigiano Reggiano. It's served with a Zingerman's butter croissant and a small tossed salad.

It's definitely a large amount of food for breakfast, or any meal. I thought having a salad at 7am was a little interesting, but Chef Jody said it's a European thing. I googled the idea, and it's actually known as a weight loss strategy, and it's a good way to get your daily amount of vegetables in early. Our small tossed salad is made with spring mix lettuce, shredded carrots, red onion, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, and croutons. It's one of those salads that when you sit it in front of someone, they always ask, "That's the small?".

I really enjoyed having the baked eggs for breakfast. The eggs are cooked so that they are over hard, which I personally prefer better than over-easy. The spinach and tomatoes not only give it great color, but add flavor as well. A lot of the flavor comes from the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, and it certainly has A LOT of cheese on top. When it comes out of the oven the cheese is bubbly and looks delicious. I also liked the croissant, but I had tried one before when I had the Ron and Deb's Weekender- if you want to read more about the croissant check out that posting.


Overall, I would recommend this to anyone. The baked egg and croissant are enough to fill anyone up for breakfast, and even if you aren't used to eating salad in the morning you can have it boxed for lunch!

4 comments:

  1. A salad for breakfast is a great idea. The eggs sound yummy, especially with cheese bubbling on it!!!did you need lunch that day with a breakfast like that???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so glad that you told us about the thought behind the salad! I always found it strange and never really knew how to explain it to our customers! Now I can, thanks, Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of salad for breakfast!!!!it sounds like a wonderful way to start my day healthy...what dressing do you like the best?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to eat salad without dressing, but I also like our ranch mixed with some of our honey mustard. :)

    ReplyDelete